Job Postings in the US:
GIVE US WINGS
Give Us Wings is a nonprofit 501(c)3 organization that works at the grassroots level with adults and children in rural Uganda. We support community development projects that focus on improving their access to quality health care, education and economic opportunities. Give Us Wings has been working in east Africa since 1999.
Give Us Wings encourages, supports and partners with people living in extreme poverty in Uganda as they transform their lives and become self-sufficient through great access to quality health care, education and economic opportunities.
The Executive Director (ED) works in cooperation with the Board of Directors to ensure that Give Us Wings remains true to its mission and values. The ED works closely with the Board of Directors to formulate strategies, policies and budgets. The ED is responsible for operational planning and management, financial management, and fundraising. Given the size of Give Us Wings, the Executive Director actually carries out many tasks rather than solely directing others.
Organizational and Strategic Leadership
- Set the strategic direction for Give Us Wings’ mission, vision and goals in collaboration with the Board of Directors, staff and stakeholders.
- Foster a culture of accountability, effective internal communication, professionalism and creativity.
- Represent the mission and programs of Give Us Wings to the public, funders and partners in the US and in Uganda.
- Lead the fundraising and grant writing efforts to ensure that we achieve annual fundraising targets.
- Work closely with the Board of Directors to set strategic goals (short and long range programs, budgets, and fundraising), establish procedures and policy, and enhance human and financial resources to assure success of the organization.
- Participate in Board meetings; provide Executive Director’s Reports that give clear and timely information on the condition of Give Us Wings and its programs.
- Provide monthly financial reports to the Board.
- Report on all fundraising activities.
- Report on project and program developments in Uganda.
- Provide the Board and officers with data, information and staff support needed for the Board to complete its work.
- Implement policies and procedures of the Board.
- Identify relevant policy issues; initiate and direct the development of new policies for Board approval.
- Maintain and update the bylaws of the organization in cooperation with the Board of Directors.
- Assist in recruiting Board members who have skills needed to assist in the growth of the organization and to support the Executive Director and staff.
Staff Direction and Management in the US and Uganda
- Supervise and support staff and volunteers.
- Supervise office operations.
- Oversee personnel management.
- Attend Steering Committee meetings.
- Supervise GUWU Country Program Director, ensure proper allocation of funds.
- Consult with National Advisory Team regarding operation and program management.
- Ensure that GUWU remains focused on the Give Us Wings model of community-based development.
- Travel to Uganda to visit GUW sites as needed and approved by the Board of Directors.
Fundraising, Resource Development and Community Outreach
- Work in collaboration with the Board of Directors to set annual fundraising goals.
- Raise awareness of the GUW mission, model of development and history of achievements within the local and national community, foundations and grantors and the media.
- Enhance donor relations, by fostering, nurturing and expanding the donor base.
- Supervise and assist in designing and implementing fundraising events and campaigns that meet annual fundraising goals.
- Oversee the design and production of all print and online materials used for marketing, education and communication.
- Supervise the grant application process.
- Promote Give Us Wings Service Trips through media, community groups and GUW donor base.
- Develop and maintain strong relationships with individuals, volunteers, donors, foundations, faith communities and the business community.
- Maintain the integrity of the information in the donor database
- Develop and monitor annual budget, monitor budgets of Africa programs
- Ensure compliance with all financial and legal requirements
- Supervise the GUW bookkeeper using QuickBooks for Non-profits
- Assist in the preparation of the annual IRS Form 990
- Ensure that all required IRS and State of Minnesota documents are filed on time
- Track deposits, expenditures, and donations
- Make timely bank deposits;
- Ensure that all donation data is properly entered into donor management software, Little Green Light.
The position of Executive Director is a challenging and rewarding opportunity that requires a diverse set of skills and experiences. The Board is seeking highly qualified candidates who can lead the organization with vision, skill and creativity.
- BA/BS degree or equivalent education or experience required.
Knowledge, Skills and Experience
- Must be passionate about the Give Us Wings mission and vision and be committed to Give Us Wings values.
- 3 or more years of progressive management experience in a non-profit organization, in areas that include, but are not limited to financial stewardship, human resources, donor development, fundraising and program management.
- Knowledge of leadership and management principles as they relate to non-profit organizations.
- Skilled fundraiser able to maintain and grow our donor base and financial resources.
- Experience living and working in a foreign country, preferred but not required.
The successful candidate will demonstrate competency in the following areas:
- Adaptable: Demonstrate a willingness to be flexible, versatile and tolerant in a changing work environment while maintaining effectiveness and efficiency.
- Effective Relationship Builder: Establish and maintain positive working relationships to achieve the goals of the organization.
- Effective Communicator: Speaks and writes clearly and persuasively.
- Organized: Detail-oriented with the ability to manage competing priorities
- Strategic Thinker: Determines strategies to move the organization forward. Sets priorities, develops a strategy based on trends and conditions and the vision and values of the organization, monitors progress, tracks and evaluates relevant data.
- Cultural Acuity: Awareness of cultural differences and ability to identify how one’s own background impacts their lens. Ability to develop effective working relationships in cross-cultural environments and an international office.
The Executive Director generally works a standard work week, but will often work evenings and weekends to accommodate activities such as Board meetings and representing the organization at public events in the Twin Cities.
The position is based in Saint Paul, Minnesota. Work is performed in-office and includes significant time using a computer. Occasional remote work, with prior approval. Occasional travel to meetings with stakeholders in the Twin Cities. Will occasionally require travel to Uganda to visit program sites and staff; international travel must be approved by the Board of Directors.
Schedule: Full-time exempt position
Salary range: $60-65K DOQ
Benefits: Generous PTO and work life balance. This position does not offer insurance benefits.
Projected Start Date: May 15, 2022
Application Deadline: Open until filled with priority consideration given to applications received before January 10, 2022
Give Us Wings International has a commitment to provide and maintain a workplace that is free from known hazards and is committed to the health and safety of our employees and supporters. As such, we are developing a mandatory COVID-19 vaccination policy to safeguard the health of our employees and supporters. This policy will comply with legal requirements and is based on guidance from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, the Minnesota Department of Health and other local health authorities. GUWI will require proof of vaccination as a condition of employment. Reasonable accommodations will be considered pursuant to the law.
We seek to foster an environment of diversity, inclusivity, and creativity. We invite persons of color, women, people with varying abilities, and underrepresented individuals to apply.
Please note: we do not provide H1B sponsorship.
APPLYING FOR THE POSITION:
If you have questions that would impact your interest in applying, please email firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include a resume and a cover letter that answers these three questions:
- How your experience in non-profit organizations and/or leadership can contribute to this job role; and
- How do you connect with the mission and values of Give Us Wings?
- Why are you interested in leading Give Us Wings?